After hearing such great compliments about this place I decided to try them out this Saturday, thanks to Ms. Soujanya for inviting me. Let me give you a small background about this place which started 1 ½ months back on Jubili Hills, Rd. No-36, beside N-Grill, one of the best location to get noticed. Ms. Soujanya an entrepreneur, did her Training & Certification from Culinary Institute of America, San Francisco, USA. Later she worked under one of the most renowned celebrated chef in USA. With all this exclusive experience she came up with this unique concept of Soups & Salads to our city.
The interiors are kept very simple with red brick wall (Paper) on one side and open kitchen on the other side. The wooden tables and chairs are in perfect sync with the wooden flooring.
I began with Soups, Salads, Wraps and ended with Desserts. I have asked them to serve soups & salads from the mild to strong ones, so that I would be able to identify the tastes in a much better way.
1. Cream of Mushroom a very creamy and mild button mushroom soup. I kind of like the subtle flavor. This is the soup of the day; they have a special soup for everyday.
2. Supreme Minestrone it is an Italian based soup with different vegetables especially for the vegetarians, those who do not prefer mushrooms. It has tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery & Italian green beans. A perfect medium spicy soup.
3. Chicken Tortilla this is a Mexican tortillas soup with sour cream and little bit of grated cheese. It was different from the routine soups with perfect blend of flavors. Chicken Tortilla soup recipe is chicken broth based that has a few simple ingredients onions, green pepper, garlic, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime. I am very impressed with this soup.
4. Tom Yum soup with Shrimps this is the thai soup most of you might be aware of it. This soup usually comes with boiled shrimps along with the heads; fortunately they have not done that. Tom yum soup paste had a great flavor and the shrimps were absolutely melting, fragrant with lime juice, lemongrass and galangal. Galangal has a very earthy aroma and there are hints of soap and pine in the flavor. Next time any one tastes it try to identify them (flavors). All the ingredients were perfectly balanced to bring out an amazing soup.
The soups that are served here at any given time are from different cuisines and they change the menu every two weeks, so that it does not get monotonous, it is a unique concept. By serving only four different soups, I feel that is a great way to give customer a different experience and taste of soups from diverse regions, unlike other places where they have 10-15 varieties. The best part is based on the customer feedback new soups are added or removed from the menu.
Now lets talk about the salads;
1. Classic Chicken Ceaser Salad no introduction is required for this salad which is quite famous at most of the places. Made out of fresh ice berg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, grated Parmesan, grilled chicken, egg less mayonnaise without garlic and ceaser dressing. The chicken is well marinated then perfectly grilled. The vegetables are very fresh & crispy which tell about the quality of the vegetables used. I am sure most of the folks must be satisfied with this salad.
2. Fresh Muskmelon Salad this is the first time I am having this one and it was simply mind-blowing and very unique. It has muskmelon pieces, fresh greens, chia seeds tossed in honey & Mustard sauce. I could not stop eating, the flavors are so perfectly blended with the mild taste and fragrance of muskmelon complementing the strong honey & mustard sauce is simply a great combination. I would certainly recommend this for everyone who has a liking for the strong flavors in their salads.
3. Mango and Shrimp Salad this is a flavor of the season due to availability of raw mangos. This is again a spicy salad with good amount of paprika, fresh greens, spicy shrimps, raw Totapuri mango & avocados slices with lime Chile dressing. This salad would be a blast in the mouth and I would advise the spicy food lovers to try this and I am assure it would not disappoint you.
4. Three bean salad this is for the extra health cautions folks who want high protein and low carb diet. This three bean salad is made with red, black and white beans, corn, red, yellow peppers, cilantro tossed in Chile-Lime vinaigrette with a slight tinge of spiciness. This is a very healthy salad for those who like to skip the regular food yet maintain good protein levels.
5. Thai Rice Noodle Salad this is a flat noodles salad with fresh vegetables and garnished with roasted peanuts, basil, thin strands of green mango and peanut sauce. I can feel the peanut flavors very strong in the salad. This salad is not for my liking may be others might like it.
6. Oriental chicken salad this salad has Chinese cabbage, scallions, shredded carrots, Grilled chicken tossed in ginger, soya & Vinegar dressing with roasted peanuts. The Chinese cabbage, scallions and ginger has a very strong flavor which is balanced with the sweetness of shredded carrots. I like this salad too.
7. Watermelon Salad with Mint this is a summer special which is very refreshing and yummy. It has watermelon, shredded mint tossed in honey. Amazing salad for these hot summers which instantaneously gives you energy and water levels necessary for the body. My sincere recommendation for this summer and a matter of fact the best for the calorie cautious folks.
They also have an Italian confetti pasta salad for the pasta lovers, which I have not tasted and I am sure it also might be tasty. Overall Great salads, I was truly impressed with the freshness of the greens and all the sauces are made in-house. They also provide few salads with the options of veg & non-veg.
Lets talk about the wraps;
1. Spice baked chicken with garlic Mayo chicken is marinated and cooked with onions, in-house tandoori spices, mayo cream, tomatoes, green, yellow peppers and mint, which is wrapped in spinach wrap (roti). A very healthy thinking by using spinach wraps, which is soft and tasty. I liked the quantity of chicken used in the wrap. I left half of the wrap for 10 mins to see whether the wrap becomes crispy or soggy but to my amazement it was perfect and soft.
2. Schezuan chicken wrap this is a spicy and tasty Chinese wrap with chicken cooked in schezuan sauce. Must be very yummy for most of the people.
There are other wraps like the Mexican Bean wrap again for those low carb folks. For the eggetarians they have an egg wrap. And few veg wraps too for the veggie lovers like the Baked Paneer, Tandoori Aloo green pepper and Mediterranean Falafel. There is something or the other for everyone need.
Last but not the least desserts;
1. Cream Brule a very creamy vanilla & elachi custard base, topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. Sugar is sprinkled onto the custard, and then caramelized under a blow torch to get the crispy layer. It is usually served at room temperature but I was served which is slightly cold. I cant explain in my words the flavors that are so delicate and mesmerizing. This is their signature dessert which most of the folks should not miss.
2. Blue Berry Cheese cake it is a classic cheesecake, tangy and sweet, with a velvety soft and rich consistency. The chef made a ginger cookie base which really was very exciting and unique; one should appreciate the chef for making such a unconventional cookie base which did complement the cheese cake, but I would have liked cinnamon flavor base more than the ginger. I can very confidently say that this place has one of the best cheese cake in the town.
They also have Panna Cotta, Apple Pie, Walnut Fudge Brownie, Vanila Muffins, Banana & Walnut Muffins apart from the different cookies.
To summarize my overall experience at Soups & Salads; the soups are fresh, hot, and hearty. Salads are very crispy and fresh which are very tempting and suites to everyones taste buds. The wraps are great snacks for those who want a quick healthy bite. Contrastingly to the diet based menu the desserts are very high on calories with lots of cheese and fat.
I should complement Ms. Soujanya for identifying best vendors to constantly supply for maintaining the quality. The food portions are value for money. I for one believe this kind of place is necessary for the fast moving and high calorific life we are living in. A brave step taken by Ms. Soujanya and her husband to get this kind of concept to our city.
Food Quantity 4.5/5
Food Quality 5/5